Re: Linux/Mips installation

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Subject: Re: Linux/Mips installation
From: Jake Griesbach <griesbac@gamera.colorado.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:02:08 -0700 (MST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
That was it!  I removed the CDROM and internal floptical drive, and the
installation proceeded.  However, now I get the prom error when rebooting
that is caused by elf kernels on old proms:

Cannot load bootp()/vmlinux
Illegal f_magic number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.

I tried downloading the ecoff kernel you posted in the test directory, but
I still get the error.  Maybe I haven't installed it correctly, or maybe I
am not typing the correct boot command.

I have unzipped the ecoff kernel and placed it in the installation (remote
computer's) root directory.  (It does boot over NFS into the installation
script.)  I have verified the kernel installed on the local drive after
installation is the same size.  (I simply copied it over to the local
drive.)  Do I have to run something equivalent to lilo??

When rebooting I'm typing:  boot dksc(0,3)

3 is the SCSI id for the local installed drive.

Thanks!!

Jake Griesbach