Re: Illegal f_magic number while install-procedure

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Subject: Re: Illegal f_magic number while install-procedure
From: Tom Woelfel <eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:20:19 +0100
Cc: eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thomas Bogendoerfer writes:
 > On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 01:47:03PM +0100, Tom Woelfel wrote:
 > > Cannot load bootp()/vmlinux
 > > Illegal f_magic number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.
 >
 > your prom is too old to understand ELF files. To solve this problem you
 > need either a newer prom or an Indy kernel in ECOFF format.
 >
 > I've successful booted a converted kernel a few minutes ago and will upload
 > this kernel to
 >
 > ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226.ecoff.gz
 >
 > Please try it.

My Indy has seen the light ;-). The kernel boots and goes it's way
through the device checking. All disk's are recognized and the
mount-request for the root-file-system is send to the server. The
(root)-dir is mounted from the Indy. (I can see this in the server-log)
Then the prom-memory is freed and the last thing I see is:
freeing unused kernel memory 52k

Then nothing happens anymore. I think the next thing to come should be
the 'init' process (init doesn't need to be an ECOFF - exec ?).

Or do I nedd a modified init to jump into setup?

partial sucess,
Tom