Re: Illegal f_magic number while install-procedure

To: eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Illegal f_magic number while install-procedure
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:02:34 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 01:47:03PM +0100, Tom Woelfel wrote:
> Cannot load bootp()/vmlinux
> Illegal f_magic number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC.

your prom is too old to understand ELF files. To solve this problem you
need either a newer prom or an Indy kernel in ECOFF format.

I've successful booted a converted kernel a few minutes ago and will upload
this kernel to

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/vmlinux-indy-2.2.1-990226.ecoff.gz

Please try it.

I've created it with a modified elf2ecoff tool from the kernel sources
on the Indy itself (it works only when used on a machine with the same
endian as the kernel). I look into fixing byte ordering problems in elf2ecoff
to allow even cross compiling of kernels on opposite endian machines.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]