A few(bunch? :) of questions.

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: A few(bunch? :) of questions.
From: gkm@total.net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 05:12:04 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I've managed to grab myself a Challenge-S and have been playing with it and
Linux.

I've gotten hardhat installed by grabbing the latest kernel image from the
test directory.
Everything is running nice, but now that it's alive, I have a few questions.

First, has the swap problem been worked out of the latest kernels? (be hard to
put the beast to work with no swap)

My console doesn't work, the log shows lots of getty HANGUP signals and then
init stopping the process.

I'd like to compile a kernel that's configured for what I'm running(no hanging
around waiting for Bootp to time out and such) Where can I get the latest
kernel source? (base 2.2.1 blows up impressivly when trying to compile :)

Related to the above:  How do I get support for the second ethernet and all
the other SCSI adapters?

Is there anyway I can dump the Irix drive?  As it is now, the 1 Gig drive is
used to hold vmlinux, that's it. Is milo something that works?

I've managed to get Vnc working on the unit, so I can so virtual X stuff, very
cool and fun. (wasn't a bad compile, just a few things to adjust)

I think that covers it for now, the Challenge is a fun toy, and under
unixbench comes out close to my P120 Laptop.
(I can post the results if anyone's interested)

Greg