Re: able to bootp/NFS-install/reboot R4400SC Indy

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: able to bootp/NFS-install/reboot R4400SC Indy
From: Chad Carlin <chad@dallas.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:51:24 -0600
Cc: linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex,

I get this error message in my syslog.
kernel: kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k net-pf-N, errno = 2

/sbin/modprobe is not on my system. Why is it trying to execute? According to
rpm -qf /sbin/modprobe on my intel-Linux system, this executable gets installed
with modutils. I am jumping to a conclusion that this error message is telling
me why networking is not running properly. More specifically, I have tried
rlogin, telnet, ftp and nfs. All of these panic the system.

I grabbed
ftp://linus.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/hardhat/5.2/RPMS/mipseb/modutils-2.1.121-4.mipseb.rpm
and put that in with the other rpms in my installation nfs filesystem. It didn't
get picked up during my nfsroot install. I guess I need to look at  some sort of
installation script to find where it get's it's list of packages to install.

Heck, I might be barking up the wrong tree after all.

Thanks,
Chad

Alex deVries wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Chad Carlin wrote:
> > Ok. Somebody shoot me. I went through and reinstalled linux on my Indy. I
> > thought that I screwed up and somehow did not get modutils-x.x.x-x because
> > I chose to install the wrong package set. I think I was wrong there too.
> >
> > Problem:
> > - modutils-x.x.x-x does not get installed by the base installer. (or I
> > don't know which one it goes with)
>
> Yup. modutils was broken at the time when Rough Cuts was put together.
> Theres a newer package that does work on the ftp site.
>
> > - Can't get this package over the network because if I try to use my
> > network interface, the system panics. It panics because I don't have
> > modutils.
>
> Why do you need modules to get your network going?
>
> > - BTW howto-french-5.1.1 seems to be corrupted in the distribution. My indy
> > always hangs when trying to install it. Hence, I have to deselect
> > optional-documentation during install.
>
> We know that. :)
>
> - Alex

            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            chad@sgi.com             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
        "flying through hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy"