Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de, Alexander Graefe <nachtfalke@usa.net>, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca
Subject: Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?
From: Chad Carlin <chad@dallas.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:04:58 -0600
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ralf and all,

Now I'm in a jam. I can't use these instructions:

irix-indy #./mke2fs drive
irix-indy #./installer drive
  cjwsh> MAKEDEV
  cjwsh> cpio root-be-0.04.cpio
  [piles of cpio extraction information]
  cjwsh> exit
  [ a moderately lengthy pause, and possibly a bus error -- don't worry
    about it ]
 irix-indy #

to make the root filesystem on the indy because I can't make the device files
with proper major|minor numbers from the installer utility from IRIX. Since
nfsroot directive does not work on .131 and R4400 doesn't work on any other
kernels, I think I'm up against a brick wall. Anyone have any ideas.

Any chance of fixing nfsroot in the .131 kernel? I think that might get me
there.

Bootless,
Chad

ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 03:46:37PM +0100, Alexander Graefe wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 04:39:51AM +0100, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> >
> > >  - the exact screen output.  Especially the register dump following the
> > >    Aiee message is important.
> >
> > kernel 2.1.100 (the one from the HardHat.tgz)
>
> 2.1.100 is known to fail on R4400.  This is supposed to be fixed in .131
> which is why I'm worried about the other bug report.  Your case is obvious -
> use a newer kernel.
>
>   Ralf

            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            chad@sgi.com             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
        "flying through hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy"