Re: Challange S question..

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <>
Subject: Re: Challange S question..
From: Chris Chiapusio <>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:05:23 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Alex deVries <>,
On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

>On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 04:58:25PM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:
>> I really need to rebuild a kernel for installation that includes R4400
>> support and serial console.  I just wish I could find a serial console
>> cable somewhere.
>I've already done that last week (announced on this mailing list) and that
>kernel boots fine on a Challenge S (tested on a real Challenge S, thanks to
>Richard Hartensveld).
>URL is:

where can i find info on what the kernel is doing at each stage of the
boot process for a 'install' kernel like this so i can try to debug this
without buggin you guys for each problem?

in the mean time, this is with Thomas' kernel.. I got farther along

Red Hat install init version 1.1 starting
mounting /proc filesystem... done
opening /proc/cmdline... done
checking command line arguments... done
checking for NFS root filesystem...yes
mke2fs 1.10, 24-Apr-97 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
/dev/ram: Operation not supported by device while setting up superblock
creating 100k of ramdisk space... done
mounting /tmp from ramdisk... failed.

I can't recover from this.

                    Please encrypt anything important.