Re: 100Mb Ethernet for Indigo2

To: "Mark A. Zottola" <asnmaz01@asc.edu>
Subject: Re: 100Mb Ethernet for Indigo2
From: "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <matomira@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 18:10:12 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
At 10:55 AM 2/7/99 -0600, you wrote:
>This is slightly off-topic, so I apologize in advance. As we are porting
>LINUX to the Indigo2 to build a Beowulf cluster - we would like to use
>100Mb ethernet cards instead of the standard 10Mb. In contacting SGI
>about this, we were pointed to Qualix - a company which manufactures
>these cards. But the price for this is rather steep - between $700 -
>$800 per card! Does anyone on this list know where there might be a
>cheaper source for these cards? I can live with 10Mb if I have to, but
>it sure would be nice to have that 100Mb communication!

A search for `100 ethernet eisa' in cnet gave several cards, 3 of them
around $200. Also, Qualix also lists one `for HP' at $495.

Fernando D. Mato Mira
Real-Time SW Engineering & Networking
Advanced Systems Engineering Division

CSEM - Centre Suisse d'Electronique et de Microtechnique
Jaquet-Droz 1
 Email:   matomira AT acm DOT org
CH-2007 Neuchatel
Phone:    +41 (32) 720-5152