Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?

To: Alexander Graefe <nachtfalke@usa.net>, ralf@uni-koblenz.de, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 22:26:07 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 05:51:40AM +0100, Alexander Graefe wrote:
> I tried that, but .131 doesn't support nfs-root. It keeps failing to
> mount the root device.

I've uploaded my current development kernel with support for bootp
and nfs-root compiled it:

ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/linux/mips/test/vmlinux-indy-990205.gz

BTW I want to make sure, that the kernel also boots headless (Challange S
simulation), can I just remove the newport from the Indy ?

> Can I bake my own kernel for the Indy on my PC with the right compiler ?

sure, but be prepared to do some hacking. There is no out of the box
cross compiling stuff.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]