Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?
From: Chad Carlin <chad@otg.dallas.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 11:37:22 -0600
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ralf,

Got a chance to try again last night using a i686 as a bootserver. I got the
same aieee message. Will get you my hinv and my particular register dump.

Chad

ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 03:51:47PM +0100, Alexander Graefe wrote:
>
> > I got as far as booting Linux via bootp on my Indy, but after the
> > remote root-fs is mounted, the kernel dies with an "Aieee" and
> > something about irq request handler.
>
> Ouch.  It was actually supposed to work on Indys, regardless of the processor
> type.  Since it's no longer working things must somewhow got broken again.
> I'll try to fix it but it's going to be hairy since I don't have an R4400SC
> processor module.
>
> > I tried booting with the 2.1.131-Kernel from ftp.linux.sgi.com, but
> > that one doesn't try to mount the root-fs via NFS.
> >
> > What kernel should I use to actually see a prompt on my Indy ?
>
> Can you send me:
>
>  - the exact screen output.  Especially the register dump following the
>    Aiee message is important.
>  - the output of the hinv command.  Hinv is an IRIX command.
>
> > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
>
> In nomeni patrii et filiae et spiritus pinguini ;-)
>
>   Ralf

            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            chad@sgi.com             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
        "flying through hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy"