Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?

To: Alexander Graefe <nachtfalke@usa.net>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: What kernel to use to install RH on a R4400 ?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 04:39:51 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 03:51:47PM +0100, Alexander Graefe wrote:

> I got as far as booting Linux via bootp on my Indy, but after the
> remote root-fs is mounted, the kernel dies with an "Aieee" and
> something about irq request handler.

Ouch.  It was actually supposed to work on Indys, regardless of the processor
type.  Since it's no longer working things must somewhow got broken again.
I'll try to fix it but it's going to be hairy since I don't have an R4400SC
processor module.

> I tried booting with the 2.1.131-Kernel from ftp.linux.sgi.com, but
> that one doesn't try to mount the root-fs via NFS.
>
> What kernel should I use to actually see a prompt on my Indy ?

Can you send me:

 - the exact screen output.  Especially the register dump following the
   Aiee message is important.
 - the output of the hinv command.  Hinv is an IRIX command.

> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

In nomeni patrii et filiae et spiritus pinguini ;-)