Re: weird HAL2

To: Alistair Lambie <alambie@rock.csd.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: weird HAL2
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:53:28 +0100
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> I don't know anything about the HAL2, but looking in hal2.h it says
> 0=reset, so from what I can see you write 0x0018 to it and then it
> should read 0x0000 when it is reset.

The spec says:

Bit 3, Global reset R/W:
Assertion of hardware reset i.e. RESET_N, set this to zero. Software brings the
HAL2 out of reset by setting this bit and may reset the HAL2 by clearing it.
Please note: this bit must be set before any other internal register access
occurs.
RESET = 0;
ACTIVE = 1;

Bit 4, Codec reset R/W:
Value reflected to CODEC_RESET_N pin. To reset external codecs and other
external devices.
RESET = 0; ACTIVE = 1;

This is exactly what I'm trying to do by first writing 0x0000 to isr, waiting
some us, and then writing 0x0018. Then the card should be active and isr should
IMHO contain 0x0018.

> Maybe this part is working ok for you and the problem is further along?

Nope.

- Ulf