Re: weird HAL2

To: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Subject: Re: weird HAL2
From: Alistair Lambie <alambie@rock.csd.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 08:36:54 +1300
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 04:23:39PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 05:14:44PM +0100, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> > > Is it possible to download the BIOS and disassemble it to check how to do
> > > it
> > > correctly?
> >
> > should be doable, but I guess disassembling the IRIX driver might be easier.
> > I've hoped someone at SGI could help us out.
>
> I think we should ask them kindly then:
>
> Does anyone at SGI know how the HAL2 works?
>
> We can't get it working correctly, it doesn't come back to normal state after
> the reset. Even if we write 0x0018 to isr, to enable the chip, it still shows
> 0x0000. It's certainly off because we can't write to the indirect registers in
> this state

I don't know anything about the HAL2, but looking in hal2.h it says
0=reset, so from what I can see you write 0x0018 to it and then it
should read 0x0000 when it is reset.  Maybe this part is working ok for
you and the problem is further along?

There are other people who would know this better though!

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                                alambie@csd.sgi.com
SGI Global Product Support            SGI Voicemail/VNET: 234-1455