Re: weird HAL2

To: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: weird HAL2
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 17:17:45 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 04:23:39PM +0100, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 1999 at 05:14:44PM +0100, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> > Is it possible to download the BIOS and disassemble it to check how to do it
> > correctly?
>
> should be doable, but I guess disassembling the IRIX driver might be easier.
> I've hoped someone at SGI could help us out.

I think we should ask them kindly then:

Does anyone at SGI know how the HAL2 works?

We can't get it working correctly, it doesn't come back to normal state after
the reset. Even if we write 0x0018 to isr, to enable the chip, it still shows
0x0000. It's certainly off because we can't write to the indirect registers in
this state

If we don't reset the HAL2, leaving it the way it is when after playing the boot
sound, we can't write to the indirect registers. The busy bit doesn't go off.

The only thing which works correctly is reading the version register.

- Ulf