Re: sgi linux

To: Eric Melville <>
Subject: Re: sgi linux
From: Alex deVries <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 21:37:38 -0500 (EST)
Cc: SGI Linux <>
I'm cc'ing this to the SGI mailing list.  Eric, you should get yourself on

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Eric Melville wrote:
L> hi, i'm following your instructions for linux on an indy... to the
> extent of my knowledge, bootp/tftp/nfs are all working fine... so next
> comes time to boot the sucker. i enter "boot bootp():/vmlinux", and it
> fires up the kernel, claims to mount root fs via nfs, but then it
> stops... it says something like:
> Warning: cannot open initial console
> Kernel panic: try passing "init=" to the kernel

This is one of two things:

- your filesystem isn't exported properly from whatever nefs server you
have, in which case you need to veryify that /dev/console (at least) is
exported properly.

- you're trying to use a serial console, which is currently unsupported.

- Alex