Re: Finally, a press release.

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: Finally, a press release.
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:33:25 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 01:14:15AM -0800, Ariel Faigon wrote:
:
:> "The company has actively worked with the Open Source community by
:>  supporting Linux since the 1994 introduction of its Indy® workstation
:>  and with support for Samba and HylaFax. [...]"
:
:Except that in '94 the MIPS port was started without any help from SGI.
:About the most friendly cites from various SGI representants I was dealing
:with at that time was ``What is Linux?''.  The SGI/Linux world started
:for real in May '96 when DaveM started at SGI porting my MIPS kernel to
:the Indy.  Similar I remember comments in the HylaFax package I downloaded
:from one of SGI's ftp servers after mid '95 a file which clearly said that
:the author Sam Leffler would not be supported by SGI to do HylaFax.
:
Ay Ralf you nitpicker :-)
Give those who wrote the PR the mercy of the doubt ...

Sam was on the SGI payroll when he was working on HylaFax
and so were many others SGI employees contributing to free software
even before 1994.  Besides, you are right, certainly with regards
to Linux.  it should have been 1996.

:Times have changed since then ...
:
Indeed.