Re: Press Release: Silicon Graphics Outlines Expanded Server Strategy to

To: rstone@vitelus.com (Robbie Stone)
Subject: Re: Press Release: Silicon Graphics Outlines Expanded Server Strategy to Grow Market Leadership into New Areas
From: olson@anchor.engr.sgi.com (Dave Olson)
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 11:23:10 -0800 (PST)
Cc: eak@detroit.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, mdlug@collie.net
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Robbie Stone wrote:
|  Yeah, I figured there wasn't one, SGI just wouldn't do that, but if you
|  goto www.sgi.com/software/irix6.5/ the picture at the
|  bottom(irix_chart.gif) sort of implies to me that the Onyx2's and Origins
|  will be running IRIX-IA64, now maybe I am misunderstanding this chart, but
|  if I am, then other people might, and you know how news articles come out,
|  I believe that the SGI/HP Cnet article recently at the last paragraph
|  referred to Linux as a language.

IA64 != x86

x86 == IA32

My earlier response, to be crystal clear, was about IA32.  Surprisingly
to me, some of the folks on this list hadn't heard the IA32 vs IA64
names, and I had assumed that since they had been in fairly common
use for 18 months that just about everybody would have known...

Sorry for the confusion.

The statements on the www.sgi.com web pages about IRIX and IA64
are still correct, so far as I can tell from reading the recent press
release.  Obviously I don't make policy, so I'm going by the same
public data that you are.

As far as the comments about http://www.sgi.com/vision/tech.html
now being out of date, yes, they seem to be, and they'll likely be updated
in the next week or so.