Re: Finally, a press release.

To: Ariel Faigon <>, Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: Finally, a press release.
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:59:18 +0100
On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 01:14:15AM -0800, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> "The company has actively worked with the Open Source community by
>  supporting Linux since the 1994 introduction of its Indy® workstation
>  and with support for Samba and HylaFax. [...]"

Except that in '94 the MIPS port was started without any help from SGI.
About the most friendly cites from various SGI representants I was dealing
with at that time was ``What is Linux?''.  The SGI/Linux world started
for real in May '96 when DaveM started at SGI porting my MIPS kernel to
the Indy.  Similar I remember comments in the HylaFax package I downloaded
from one of SGI's ftp servers after mid '95 a file which clearly said that
the author Sam Leffler would not be supported by SGI to do HylaFax.

Times have changed since then ...