Re: Finally, a press release.

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Finally, a press release.
From: fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:01:03 -0800 (PST)
Cc: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, linux@hollywood.engr.sgi.com, fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

> :
> :http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/january/servers.html
> :
> :I'm not sure it says much really concrete, but it is interesting.
> :
> Hi Alex (and Ralf, Miguel, David, Alan, Mike, Larry, Greg, Richard,
> Bent, Kurt, Jon, Bob, Bill, Dave, David, Steve, Alistair, Eric,
> Thomas, Andi, Mark, Oliver, Leon, Ulf, Honza, and apologies to
> whoever I forgot to mention inside or outside SGI)
>
> Basically this is the first public and official, even strategic
> SGI commitment to Linux so I think we should all take the
> time and celebrate the moment.
>
> Beau Vrolyk who is directly quoted in the release many times
> is a Senior VP reporting directly to Rick Belluzzo, our CEO.
>
> The bottom line is that all the top management at SGI is
> recognizing the importance of Linux.  This is in part thanks
> to Linus and all the contributors who kept the faith and put
> long hours without being paid for it into Linux and Open Source
> in general and Linux/SGI in particular to make it the amazing success
> that it is today.  Personally, for me this is a dream come true
> after over 3 years of evangelizing Linux / Open Source at SGI
> (and many many of e-mails of encouragement to Beau and others :-)

        This month's issue of the the IEEE Computer Magazine, February
        1999, Pages 125-128, has a very well written editorial about the
        "Linux" and Open Source "movement". The article/editorial is titled
        "The Open Source Acid Test" and was written by Ted Lewis.

        If I can find an on-line version, I'll e-mail it to the mailing list.
        For those that take this publication it is a pretty good read.

        Ted Lewis's bottom line is that the Linux and Open Source movement
        has been gaining market share starting with nothing both because is
        is "free" and because it is simple and relatively easy to extend
        since the Linux kernel is still a small number of lines of code.

        His main argument is that the first wave of market acceptance is
        "easy" since you are starting from zero. When "Linux or Open Source"
        becomes a competitive threat to the major computer vendors and software
        vendors, Microsoft and the others will use the "absorb-and-extend"
        used against Netscape, to neutralize your market penetration and
        reduce your competitive threat.

        Also these is a nice discussion on the total-cost-of-ownership of
        software products, and a number of graphs of the complexity versus
        time of OS's and applications.

> :I wonder how this'll change the way this group operates.  A lot of us ha=
> ve
> :learned an amazing amount through Linux on Indy, and I think we've
> :produced something remarkable.  Let's hope making Linux official only
> :adds to it.
> :
> Note the part that explicitly mentions you all:
>
> "The company has actively worked with the Open Source community by
>  supporting Linux since the 1994 introduction of its Indy=AE workstation
>  and with support for Samba and HylaFax. In December 1998, the company
>  joined Linux International and introduced support of Samba 2.0 for its
>  OriginTM server line, enabling data consolidation and the world's fastest
>  data interoperability among Windows=AE and UNIX platform clients. Silicon
>  Graphics is the first commercial UNIX vendor to support Samba software,
>  a widely used suite of open source programs that simplifies integration of
>  multi-platform environments."
>
> You should be all proud of the work you've done.  The best moments
> are just ahead of us !

        The Linux and *BSD Communities I believe are just beginning to see
        the the limits of "free" volunteer labor. Jordon Hubbard state of the
        Union message to the FreeBSD mailing list notes a couple of disturbing
        trends.

        How the future of the Open Source movement and any business'es which
        are based on this model will play out in the silicon valley will be
        interesting to watch.

        A number of the steps which have occurred in the Open Source
        movement are predicted by a number of Ted's observations. I wonder
        how far it will go until Microsoft does something to co-op it.

-- Bill