Re: Finally, a press release.

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca (Alex deVries)
Subject: Re: Finally, a press release.
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 01:14:15 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/press_releases/1999/january/servers.html
:
:I'm not sure it says much really concrete, but it is interesting.
:
Hi Alex (and Ralf, Miguel, David, Alan, Mike, Larry, Greg, Richard,
Bent, Kurt, Jon, Bob, Bill, Dave, David, Steve, Alistair, Eric,
Thomas, Andi, Mark, Oliver, Leon, Ulf, Honza, and apologies to
whoever I forgot to mention inside or outside SGI)

Basically this is the first public and official, even strategic
SGI commitment to Linux so I think we should all take the
time and celebrate the moment.

Beau Vrolyk who is directly quoted in the release many times
is a Senior VP reporting directly to Rick Belluzzo, our CEO.

The bottom line is that all the top management at SGI is
recognizing the importance of Linux.  This is in part thanks
to Linus and all the contributors who kept the faith and put
long hours without being paid for it into Linux and Open Source
in general and Linux/SGI in particular to make it the amazing success
that it is today.  Personally, for me this is a dream come true
after over 3 years of evangelizing Linux / Open Source at SGI
(and many many of e-mails of encouragement to Beau and others :-)

:I wonder how this'll change the way this group operates.  A lot of us have
:learned an amazing amount through Linux on Indy, and I think we've
:produced something remarkable.  Let's hope making Linux official only
:adds to it.
:
Note the part that explicitly mentions you all:

"The company has actively worked with the Open Source community by
 supporting Linux since the 1994 introduction of its Indy® workstation
 and with support for Samba and HylaFax. In December 1998, the company
 joined Linux International and introduced support of Samba 2.0 for its
 OriginTM server line, enabling data consolidation and the world's fastest
 data interoperability among Windows® and UNIX platform clients. Silicon
 Graphics is the first commercial UNIX vendor to support Samba software,
 a widely used suite of open source programs that simplifies integration of
 multi-platform environments."

You should be all proud of the work you've done.  The best moments
are just ahead of us !

:- Alex
:
:--