Re: Precompiled 2.1.131 binaries.

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Precompiled 2.1.131 binaries.
From: Chad Carlin <chad@roctane.dallas.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:50:37 -0600
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Newsgroups: sgi.engr.linux
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Linux on Indy problems.

Cross-posting this one to sgi.engr.linux. Maybe someone here has had succes with Linux on an
R4400 Indy.

Here are some answers:

> 2) Does "VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly" mean that I guessed
>   the correct disk partition to use?

Probably... could you see what it reports for the SCSI probe?

Yes, I get similar output describing vendor, model and disk sizes. All are correct. If I get this output
am I OK in this regard. Should I compare this output with mine to look for discrepencies?
Could you see what it reports for partitioning?

Mine says:

Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
Yes, I get this feedback.
> 3) What does init= mean in "Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing
>   init= option to kernel"?

It says this because it can't find /sbin/init, because it can't find the
root filesystem.

That's what I was afraid of. At least my errors seem to be pointed at filesystem mounting.
> 4) This seems to suggest that the tty0 and tty1 have been discovered OK:
>       SGI Zilog8530 serial driver version 1.00
>       tty00 at 0xbfbd9838 (irq = 21) is a Zilog8530
>       tty01 at 0xbfbd9830 (irq = 21) is a Zilog8530
>  Why then would I get this error message?
>       Warning: unable to open an initial console
> 5) Could someone point me to where I can browse the source for this indy kernel?

Two reasons: there's no fielsystem that has /dev/console for you, and I
never built in serial console support.  I will, thuogh.

It seems like I had it in the previous vmlinux kernel. I was using my irix-indy's console port to
connect to the console port of my linux-indy. I never got feedback on the local linux-indy's gfx
(prom> setenv console d). With this new kernel, the reverse is true (now behaves like prom>
setenv console g).
Could you look into the lack of disk problems first?  This is on an Indy,
right?
Yes it is.

Aside from the config that I performed on the disk from IRIX (below), what else should I look at?

What I did (from my recollection):
irix% mk2efs /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0
irix% installer /dev/dsk/dks0d1s0
   cjwsh> MAKEDEV (What should `ls dev` look like at this point?)
   cjwsh> cpio.....
   cjwsh> exit
irix% e2fsck -fy /dev/linux-disk
cp /dist/linux/mipseb/vmlinux /mnt/vmlinux    (/mnt + /dks0d3s1)

prom> boot vmlinux root=/dev/sdb3 (similar)

Notes:
IRIX 6.5 is installed on an XFS partition dks0d3s0. Linux was cpio'ed onto an ext2 partition
at dks0d1s0. I have an IRIX made efs partition at dks0d1s1.

In this case, I am following the instruction included with "Linux-installer". In these instructions
there is no talk of using bootp/tftp/nfs for anything. Should these instructions work? Are these
better/same/worse than the instructions available on the webpage which call for using bootp to
get the kernel?

BTW I did try the webpage instructions as well. I get errors like cannot open system console.
This happens after the disk discovery completes OK or at least similar to your example.

Is the reason for needing IRIX on the linux-indy?: a) Needs to boot sash from VH? b) Be able
to run installion script which executes under IRIX? c) Some other reason?

Thanks,
Chad

            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            chad@sgi.com             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
        "flying through hyper space ain't like dusting crops, boy"