Re: Parallel port support.

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Parallel port support.
From: Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@bun.falkenberg.se>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 18:21:40 +0100
Cc: Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> I've never seen any documentation of the parallel port that hangs off of

I'm curious as well.

> I'm thinking this is a pretty easy device driver to write for testing that
> the pbus code works well.  It'd help out with HAL2 support.

We don't need any special support for the PBUS when it comes to HAL2, and
there's no special PBUS code written. Everything is done directly by
reading/writing to the PBUS PIO registers, and they don't need any kind of
setup. This is not difficult at all. What's more complicated is to setup the
PBUS DMA, but the parallel port doesn't use DMA.

It would be nice to have parallel port support, but the reason to write it is
_not_ to make it easier to build the HAL2 driver. Write it anyway :)

- Ulf