Re: An X server for the 1600SW Flat Panel (Or just to get X right away)

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: An X server for the 1600SW Flat Panel (Or just to get X right away)
From: "Greg Chesson" <greg@xtp.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:56:52 -0800
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jan 26,  4:09pm, Marco Masotti wrote:
> Subject: An X server for the  1600SW Flat Panel (Or just to get X right aw
>

> Hi,
>
> I just was wondering whether this option would be a thinkable way to an  X
server, of course in case one would go for the LCD Flat Panel onto the Visual
WS.

> I mean, putting the Number Nine card in a Pci slot and then running the
commercial X server off the current ported Linux.

>   http://www.accelerated-x.com/media/announce.html
>
>  Thanks, Marco
>-- End of excerpt from Marco Masotti

This probably works.
I've seen a PCI/Nine board working with the 1600 display
on a commodity box in the display lab.  It was not running Linux so I can't
comment on that.  But the display and demos seemed to operate as well
as on the SGI 320 running the same software side-by-side.

The missing piece for me is having hardware-accelerated OpenGL
working on that combination.  I don't think we'll see that until sometime
after the open-GLX work is complete.

Greg Chesson