Re: Precompiled 2.1.131 binaries.

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Precompiled 2.1.131 binaries.
From: Chad Carlin <chad@sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 17:33:02 -0600 (CST)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hello All,

Well, I gave the new kernel a try. Now I have new problems and an interesting
note. The problem is this. "Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=
option to kernel"

I am following the instructions that call for using "./mke2fs drive" and
using "boot vmlinux root=/dev/sdb3" to boot the kernel. Are these the correct
ones or is the bootp server the better way to go?

In either case I actually tried it the other way (nfsroot=) as well. No
work-worky that way either. I also tried combining the methods too. Like
getting the kernel via bootp and setting root=/dev/sda1 (linux disk is scsi
id 1 and irix is 3). Tried getting the kernel from the local efs fs and
getting root via nfs from my regular irix Indy. Tried old kernel again too.

Also note: With the previous kernel I was getting boot information through
the console port of the indy with nothing being displayed on the gfx monitor.
Now I only get the "130768+22320+3184+341792+48560d+4604+6816 entry:
0x8bfa60d0" on the console and the rest on the gfx display.

Questions:
1) Is anyone else using an R4400?
2) Does "VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly" mean that I guessed
  the correct disk partition to use?
3) What does init= mean in "Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing
  init= option to kernel"?
4) This seems to suggest that the tty0 and tty1 have been discovered OK:
        SGI Zilog8530 serial driver version 1.00
        tty00 at 0xbfbd9838 (irq = 21) is a Zilog8530
        tty01 at 0xbfbd9830 (irq = 21) is a Zilog8530
 Why then would I get this error message?
        Warning: unable to open an initial console

5) Could someone point me to where I can browse the source for this indy kernel?

All responses appreciated. Even if it's just a "There but for the grace
of God go I" or "Better you than me".

Regards,
Chad

            Chad Carlin                          Special Systems
            Silicon Graphics Inc.                   972.205.5911
            Pager 888.754.1597          VMail 800.414.7994 X5344
            chad@sgi.com             http://reality.sgi.com/chad
         "flying through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy"