Re: Installing Linux on Indy

To: olson@anchor.engr.sgi.com (Dave Olson)
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on Indy
From: Tom Woelfel <eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:52:10 +0100
Cc: eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se, topcat@develop.nmdg.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Dave Olson writes:
 > Tom Woelfel wrote:

 > |  For an old SGI disk I've searched 1 week in the web to get the
 > |  jumper-settings to reset the spin-up-delay-at-boot - nothing (The
 > |  disk was purposed to be built into my PS/2). So I called SGI
 >
 > All the disk drive manufacturers that I know of have web pages for
 > the drive jumper settings.  SGI support doesn't have docs on most of them,
 > even the current ones, because nobody ever needs to know; they come
 > setup correctly from the factory.
 >
 > By the way, with only 5 jumpers to play with on most drives, you
 > can usually figure it out in less than 30 minutes.
 >
 > I'm sorry you are so unhappy about it, but it does sound like you
 > are frustrated over things that seem pretty easy to deal with.

The disk had no label on it. So I had to put it in an external
SCSI-CASE an plug it in (risk). Linux reported an IMB/SGI S6(S8?) or
so. The only model I found was the model S12. Simple Question: Are
both jumper-settings equal? (For the MCA one needs special setting) If
there is no answer for a simple question; not on the web, not after a
call ...

Well, shit happens. Maybe I should have written a mail to someone in
the list directly.

//Tom

[Thanx also to Joan Eslinger for the immediate response]