Re: [Fwd: linus.linux.sgi.com]

To: kck@mailbox.esd.sgi.com (Ken Klingman), offer@morgaine.engr.sgi.com (Richard Offer)
Subject: Re: [Fwd: linus.linux.sgi.com]
From: david@carrera.columbus.sgi.com (David Watters)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:18:05 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Jan 19,  6:36pm, Ken Klingman wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: linus.linux.sgi.com]
>
> The VW 320 and 540 use 288-bit wide synchronous DRAM, clocked
> at 100MHz.  288 bits means it's not your everyday PC SDRAM.

But it is!

It is just laid out differently.

Industry standard SDRAM chips but to get the wider memory path
they layed them out differently.

They used a different JDEC standard DIMM (the same as in some notebooks)
because the motherboard would have been a mess using the giant, more
commond desktop-PC JDEC standard modules.

The idea is a high-bandwith arch. at PC prices and to do that you have
to make some tough decisions.  Otherwise the OCTANE is a far better (and $)
arch. that is just dying for faster processors and next-gen graphics.

Who cares.  It is all in the application performance.  We will soon see...

--
David Watters         |                 Silicon*Graphics
Systems Engineer      |                http://www.sgi.com/