Re: Installing Linux on Indy

To: eedthwo@eede.ericsson.se
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on Indy
From: olson@anchor.engr.sgi.com (Dave Olson)
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:29:27 -0800 (PST)
Cc: topcat@develop.nmdg.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tom Woelfel wrote:
|  I don't want to buy the very expensive IRIX (I would be glad to get
|  IRIX5.3 without spending a trillion bucks). And so the important
|  question again: Is it possible (will it be possible) to install Linux
|  on an Indy without Irix?

Not to cause a flame war, but $600 US isn't all that much (I realize
that for somebody who has paid $1000 or less for a used system it can
seem like a lot).

|  For an old SGI disk I've searched 1 week in the web to get the
|  jumper-settings to reset the spin-up-delay-at-boot - nothing (The
|  disk was purposed to be built into my PS/2). So I called SGI

All the disk drive manufacturers that I know of have web pages for
the drive jumper settings.  SGI support doesn't have docs on most of them,
even the current ones, because nobody ever needs to know; they come
setup correctly from the factory.

By the way, with only 5 jumpers to play with on most drives, you
can usually figure it out in less than 30 minutes.

I'm sorry you are so unhappy about it, but it does sound like you
are frustrated over things that seem pretty easy to deal with.

Dave Olson, Silicon Graphics
http://reality.sgi.com/olson   olson@sgi.com