Re: Installing Linux on Indy

To: Trevor Jennings <topcat@develop.nmdg.com>, Linux SGI <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Installing Linux on Indy
From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton@informatics.muni.cz>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:24:16 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

>  Well, I am new to this mailing list and am thinking of installing Linux on
> my trusty old Indy and was wondering if there was in fact any other way of
> installing the hardhat release instead of having another linux box to boot
> from?  I was thinking of downloading the release onto jaz disk and
> installing it from there, is that possible? I believe it is great that there

To boot the kernel, you need a root. You should be able to boot from
a root created from IRIX, I'm however not sure which filesystem you
should pickup. You can create a e2fs filesystem from IRIX but I'm not
aware of any way to mount the filesystem to copy the root there. For
other filesystems, you might need to use cross-compiler to build new
kernel. [Maybe somebody else will see easier ways?]

So essentially, I'd say the answer is no. Note however that the other
computer doesn't need to be Linux box, anything that can do tftp,
bootp and nfs will be just fine. I myself boot from our Solaris
server.

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
 The total number of bytes in all expressions in the GROUP BY clause is
 limited to the size of a data block minus some overhead. --Oracle SQL Ref.