Re: [Fwd:]

Subject: Re: [Fwd:]
From: (Richard Offer)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:28:50 -0800 (PST)
* $ from at "19-Jan: 8:04pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
* Your message dated: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:29:16 CST
* >The current mainstream memory offering is 70n/s and we are at 50n/s.  The
* >ry is not proprietary - any manufacturer could buy it if their system could
* >ive it fast enough!
* pardon me but...
* Cut the SGI - "We Are Better Than God, Bow Before Our I/O" crap.
* Lots of PCs use 10ns SDRAM and 6ns SDRAM all of the time.

Well, I couldn't see anything faster than 60ns on Kingstons store.

* Humm, a look at the glossies for the 320 and 540 make it look like all
* of SGI is working off a typo.  It lists:
*    * 100 MHz (50 ns) ECC synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
* that should read 5ns.  and beyond that, lots of people sell 100Mhz
* capable SDRAM.  (eg

I'd guess that their 10ns is a misprint as its cheap and listed in the PC-66

Isn't 100Mhz and 50ns a measure of two different things ? This is meant as a
serious question, as I don't know.  But, I'd guess that one is the refresh and
one the time to access ?

* I might buy some if they are competitive w/ plain old white Linux boxes.

How do you measure 'competitive' ? For me, they aren't; for my next-cubicle
neighbour they would be. Luckily we don't live in a one size
(hardware/software) fits all world.

* job

A guest signature by Dan Boyd (boyd at

  A competent sysadmin can turn any task into one resembling system
  administration and requiring a Makefile.