Re: [Fwd: linus.linux.sgi.com]

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: [Fwd: linus.linux.sgi.com]
From: offer@morgaine.engr.sgi.com (Richard Offer)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:28:50 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
* $ from job@piquin.uchicago.edu at "19-Jan: 8:04pm" | sed "1,$s/^/* /"
*
* Your message dated: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:29:16 CST
*
* >The current mainstream memory offering is 70n/s and we are at 50n/s.  The
memo
* >ry is not proprietary - any manufacturer could buy it if their system could
dr
* >ive it fast enough!
*
* pardon me but...
* Cut the SGI - "We Are Better Than God, Bow Before Our I/O" crap.
*
* Lots of PCs use 10ns SDRAM and 6ns SDRAM all of the time.

Well, I couldn't see anything faster than 60ns on Kingstons store.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/kepler/specs.asp

*
* Humm, a look at the glossies for the 320 and 540 make it look like all
* of SGI is working off a typo.  It lists:
*    * 100 MHz (50 ns) ECC synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
* that should read 5ns.  and beyond that, lots of people sell 100Mhz
* capable SDRAM.  (eg http://www.memoryx.com/generic.htm)

I'd guess that their 10ns is a misprint as its cheap and listed in the PC-66
section.

Isn't 100Mhz and 50ns a measure of two different things ? This is meant as a
serious question, as I don't know.  But, I'd guess that one is the refresh and
one the time to access ?

*
* I might buy some if they are competitive w/ plain old white Linux boxes.

How do you measure 'competitive' ? For me, they aren't; for my next-cubicle
neighbour they would be. Luckily we don't live in a one size
(hardware/software) fits all world.

* job
*

richard.

A guest signature by Dan Boyd (boyd at cs.buffalo.edu)

  A competent sysadmin can turn any task into one resembling system
  administration and requiring a Makefile.