Re: linus.linux.sgi.com

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>
Subject: Re: linus.linux.sgi.com
From: dmanddmer <dmerchan@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 05:21:18 -0600
Cc: eak@detroit.sgi.com, ralf@uni-koblenz.de, ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, richard@infopact.nl
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Personally, since SGI made the questionable decision to port to NT, I
wish they would commit to AMD's processors instead of Intels.  The K7 is
going to be a real screamer and at significantly lower prices than
Intel, always at least 25% less by company dictate.  Their floating
point has nearly caught up with Intel, too.
I also wish that SGI would put Irix or Linux with all the Irix tools on
the PC-based box.
Porting to NT alone is probably not enough to save the company.  It
didn't work for Intergraph.

BTW, how does the graphic performance on the VPC compare to, say,
Reality Engine or Infinite Reality?

David M.