Re: linus.linux.sgi.com

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>
Subject: Re: linus.linux.sgi.com
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:40:30 -0500
Cc: ralf@uni-koblenz.de, ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, richard@infopact.nl
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Im not an official spokes person by any stretch of anyones's imagination, but
the dream of IRIX binary compatability on an NT X86 architecture system is a
pipe dream. Sun gets away with it by running Solaris on X86. I seriously doubt
IRIX be ported to x86 any time in the near future, if ever.

Again, I'm not the guy who makes the decision. I don't work for the group that
makes the decision or has anything to do with helping make the decision.

As for "screwing their customers", ask Sun when they are going to support NT
on any of their systems. At least SGI is making it possible to start thinking
about doing UNIX environment kinds of tasks in the NT world rather than
snubbing their nose at the people who have made the business decision to
migrate to that environment.

As for "no UNIX story" on the 320 or 540 hardware, all I can say is that there
have been a lot of Linux rumors. Nothing substantiated.

HP uses Intel CPU's. Compaq now owns DEC. Who says SGI has to own the company
that makes the CPU's we put in our systems?

For being an SGI supporter, this sure sounds like Sun FUD, IMHO.

EAK.

--
Eric Kimminau        eak@detroit.sgi.com      Field Technical Support

              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
 "I am a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up..."
                    http://support.sgi.com