compiling kernel

Subject: compiling kernel
From: Matthias Kleinschmidt <mkleinschmidt@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:31:14 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

I try to compile my own kernel for my Indy.
I got the sources from cvs yesterday and made

 make config
 make dep
 make clean
 make vmlinux

It compiles fine but it will not boot. I get the following message:

>> boot vmlinux

115360+19600+3136+334528+42744d+4248+6368 entry: 0x89fa8840

Exception: <vector=UTLB Miss>

Status register: 0x30004803<CU1,CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,EXL,IE>

Cause register: 0x8008<CE=0,IP8,EXC=RMISS>

Exception PC: 0x8810fa1c, Exception RA: 0x8800260c

exception, bad address: 0x7

Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>

  Saved user regs in hex (&gpda 0xa8740e48, &_regs 0xa8741048):

  arg: 7 89fff938 89fffc40 880025dc

  tmp: 8816010c 8816010c 10 881189c8 14 89fad9e0 0 48

  sve: 89fdf3e8 89fffc40 89fb2720 89fff938 a8747420 9fc56394 0 9fc56394

  t8 48 t9 89fffe54 at 1 v0 0 v1 89fff890 k1 bad11bad

  gp 881bc4a0 fp 9fc4be88 sp 89fff890 ra 8800260c

PANIC: Unexpected exception

I used the Indy running Linux 2.1.121 from ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test
and egcs-1.0.2 from hardhat and also my i586 with the crosscompiler
from ftp.linux.sgi.com with the same results.
The vmlinux-indy-2.1.121.tar.gz boots fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Regards
 Matthias

--