Re: linus.linux.sgi.com

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: linus.linux.sgi.com
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:21:36 -0800
Cc: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, richard@infopact.nl
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
   From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
   Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:59:18 +0100

   Seconded.  SGI (and actually the whole industry) is _W_A_Y_ more
   OSS friendly than /. rumors say.

Although I am a supporter of SGI and I understand their friendlyness
to the community, I do have to state that the rumors and feelings are
unsurprising given that:

1) SGI has no UNIX story (yet) on their new hardware.
2) SGI has no binary compatability story on the new hardware for
   customers who have made an investment in their MIPS line.
   (Sun will be acquiring what SGI has (ability to execute x86
    binaries) in the very near future in their Sparc processors,
    without screwing their customers over the way SGI is at the
    moment... I can't say how they'll do it, but all I can say is
    that they are doing it the right way)

And todays announcement of how much of their MIPS investment stake
they are getting rid of, will only amplify how people feel about the
above.

So if SGI has some exciting news for us OSS people in the pipeline,
and they are just holding off for "the right time", I think this is a
miscalculated delay and will hurt them tremendously.  The sooner the
better, is anyone listening?

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com