Re: linus.linux.sgi.com

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: linus.linux.sgi.com
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 22:59:18 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 11:09:53AM -0800, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> Looks like I need to give a status update on linus.linux.sgi.com.
>
> First, let me tell you all that I'm really taken aback by this
> situation.  I've seen postings on slashdot.org suggesting that
> SGI has taken this machine down because it is in bed with
> Microsoft etc. etc. and all kinds of negative speculation and
> nonsense.  I was even contacted by the press on this (could
> you believe that :-)  Let me make it very clear:
>
>       1) No one at SGI has taken this service down and
>          guess what: we are going to bring it back up again.
>
>       2) The machine itself is not down. The problem is in the
>          routing to the machine and from what I last heard,
>          it seems to be a hardware problem.

The tracroute I just did looks like a) SGI's engineering pipe needs a
serious upgrade due to packet loss and b) there is a routing loop somewhere.
So if the router people can't fix it maybe moivng the machine to an address
which actually has a functional setup?

>       4) The timing when this thing decided to break (close to the
>          announcement of the SGI Visual Workstation) is purely
>          coincidental.

Seconded.  SGI (and actually the whole industry) is _W_A_Y_ more OSS
friendly than /. rumors say.

Quite frankly, having to answer several private emails aobut this topic I'm
still surprised how much policital damage a stupid messed up route can
cause.