Re: linus.linux.sgi.com

Subject: Re: linus.linux.sgi.com
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:09:53 -0800 (PST)
Cc: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, richard@infopact.nl (Richard Hartensveld)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

Looks like I need to give a status update on linus.linux.sgi.com.

First, let me tell you all that I'm really taken aback by this
situation.  I've seen postings on slashdot.org suggesting that
SGI has taken this machine down because it is in bed with
Microsoft etc. etc. and all kinds of negative speculation and
nonsense.  I was even contacted by the press on this (could
you believe that :-)  Let me make it very clear:

        1) No one at SGI has taken this service down and
           guess what: we are going to bring it back up again.

        2) The machine itself is not down. The problem is in the
           routing to the machine and from what I last heard,
           it seems to be a hardware problem.

        3) I talked to people who can help fixing this and they
           want to help, the only problem they have is that they
           have other "real-work" priorities which is why it is
           talking so long to fix it.

        4) The timing when this thing decided to break (close to the
           announcement of the SGI Visual Workstation) is purely
           coincidental.

        5) As far as many of us SGI'ers are concerned, SGI support
           to Open Source and the Linux community will only grow
           with time.   See for example Jeremy Allison's cool
           Samba 2.0 announcement yesterday:

                http://lwn.net/daily/samba2.0.html

           As some of you know, SGI now is the main founder of
           the Samba project putting real big money and serious
           (Origin server) hardware donations to help it grow,
           improve, and kick butt.

Mirroring linus.linux.sgi.com is a good idea and once it is
back up I encourage more volunteers to step up and do it.

Thanks for your patience and support!

--
Peace, Ariel

:
:Alex deVries wrote:
:
:> I don't mean to seem like a bother, but what is the deal with
:> linus.linux.sgi.com? We really need that machine for development.  I think
:> it's been a week now.
:>
:> If SGI isn't going to be able to support that service, that's fine.  Could
:> you let us know so we can make other arrangements?
:>
:
:I've got a challenge S connected to the internet on a 34mbit connection,
:running the (somewhat modificated) hardhat distribution.
:
:I am more then willing to host the linux/SGI pages on this machine, and put
:the machine up
:for development if people are intrested.
:
:I don't know if the www.linux.sgi.com machine is ever going to get back up,
:but if it isn't,
:this is maybe a solution?