Re: same boot vmlinux trouble

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: same boot vmlinux trouble
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 19:57:49 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> Alex, could you brew a binary kernel from CVS?  Thanks.

I will as soon as linus.linux.sgi.com is alive again.  Any news on this?

Incidentally, I've been working for the last few days on rewriting
libfdisk. This is used inside the RH installer to mdoify and read
partition tables.  SGI tables are wildly different than anything else of
course, and libfdisk is really only designed for pc/dos partition tables.

So, I'm rewriting it as nlibfdisk, and has support now for reading pc, sgi
and macintosh partition tables.  It's flexible enough to easily allow
other partitioning formats.

Having this solved will let us have a better installer on the SGI, and
also on Macintosh (both m68k and ppc).

When it's looking a little less stable, I'll ask people here to give it a
shot on their partition tables (marked read only, of course).

- Alex