Re: return of the console on serial

To: Richard Hartensveld <richard@infopact.nl>, "linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: return of the console on serial
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 02:34:04 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 02:09:21AM -0800, Richard Hartensveld wrote:

> Compilation is all going well now, and when i boot my new kernel, it
> says:
>
> 'console is ttyS0' (or ttyS1, that depends on the boot option)
>
> But doesn't do anything with it it seems.
>
> i'm still getting the 'unable to open initial console', which should be
> the terminal on the serial port. Is this not supported yet??

[...]
  5.1.  NFS booting fails.

  Usually the reason for this is that people used unpacked the tar
  archive under IRIX, not Linux.  Since the representation of device
  files over NFS is not standardized between various Unices this fails.
  The sympthom is that the system dies with the error message ,,Warning:
  unable to open an initial console.'' right after mounting the NFS
  filesystem.

  For now the workaround is to use a Linux system (doesn't need to be a
  MIPS) to unpack the installation archive onto the NFS server.  The NFS
  server itself may be any type of UNIX.
[...]