Re: console on serial

To: Mike Shaver <shaver@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: console on serial
From: Richard Hartensveld <richard@infopact.nl>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:40:33 -0800
Cc: "linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Posted-date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:36:41 +0100 (MET)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mike Shaver wrote:

> Richard Hartensveld wrote:
> > I'm trying to get linux installed on a challenge S, which has no video
> > board, all goes pretty
> > well until i get into userland and the kernel wants to open
> > /dev/console, which i would
> > like to be a terminal on the serial port, is this possible?
>
> Yeah, that's how I boot my Indy when I need to capture early-on kernel
> dumps.
> Make sure that /dev/console is a symlink to /dev/ttyS0.

I made a ttyS0 on the nfs-root filesystem and linked /dev/console to it, i
no longer get the
message 'can't open console' but no message at all :). i made the ttyS0
device using mknod ttyS0 c 4 64.

I seem to be forgetting something, anyone who can fill me in here ?

Richard