Re: Hard Hat Linux (fwd)

To: jmichaud@chaos.boston.sgi.com (Joseph Michaud)
Subject: Re: Hard Hat Linux (fwd)
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 15:25:19 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
[FYI, regarding that request to erase the "Hard Hat"
words from www.linux.sgi.com -- Ariel]

The suggestion by Joe to check http://www.uspto.gov/tmdb/index.html
proved to be pretty helpful, thanks.

A search revealed no less than 22 parties claiming
"Hard Hat" as a registered trade mark in various
variations.  I wrote back to Mr Hilarius (tm of Monty
as Greg suggested :-) telling him that I couldn't verify
his claim in this database (and what I found instead)
and asked for more details.

I also mentioned that AFAIK "Linux" is a trademark
of Linus Torvalds and asked whether he can prove
that he got permission from Linus to use the TM
in his claimed TM: "Hard Hat Linux".

That said, I made it clear that it is not our intention
to infringe on anyone trademarks, and if he could only
answer my questions in a satisfactory way, We'd be
glad to change our web page.

He had several days to respond, but I haven't heard
from him since... Will let you know if he ever does.

--
Peace, Ariel