Re: Hard Hat Linux (fwd)

Subject: Re: Hard Hat Linux (fwd)
From: jmichaud@chaos.boston.sgi.com (Joseph Michaud)
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:58:29 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hmm.  I don't find any such trademarks on a search at the
US Patent Office (http://www.uspto.gov/tmdb/index.html).

Ask him what the trademark registration number is, and
where it is registered...

Joe

On Dec 13,  2:53am, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> I'm not sure if I should feel amused or saddened by this
> email.  I'm not a lawyer, just curious of what would you
> be doing in reponse.
>
> Note that:
>       The facts this email presents are inaccurate:
>
>       1) We don't have any "product" on www.linux.sgi.com
>          just a free source distribution.
>       2) His claim is ignoring the fact that "Linux" is
>          a trademark of Linus Torvalds which may invalidate
>          any claim to its derivatives by another party.
>       3) We use "Hard Hat 5.1" as a humorous way to say
>          it is somewhat unstable release of Red Hat 5.1
>          in a casual way in one title.
>       4) We never use the term "Hard Hat Linux".
>
> I guess the question is whether our very innocent and casual
> use of the phrase "Hard Hat" in one web page and without any
> product connotation constitutes trademark infringement.

Joseph Michaud                Silicon Graphics - Applications Consulting
jmichaud@boston.sgi.com       x483-2255                   (978) 562-4800