Re: Linux on a Indigo R4000?

To: Andreas Gaffke-Administrator <andreas@aks-csd.ac.rwth-aachen.de>
Subject: Re: Linux on a Indigo R4000?
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:05:49 -0800
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Andreas Gaffke-Administrator writes:
 > >> version
 > PROM Monitor SGI Version 4.0.5D Rev A IP20, Aug 17, 1992 (BE)
 > >> boot -f bootp()aks-csd:/vmlinux
 > Setting $netaddr to 134.130.100.90 (from server aks-csd)
 > Obtaining /vmlinux from server aks-csd
 >
 > Cannot load bootp()aks-csd:/vmlinux.
 > Unable to load bootp()aks-csd:/vmlinux: execute format error

      You have to load sash first (and probably an IRIX 6.2 or later
sash at that), because the IP20 prom only knows how to load MIPS ECOFF
binaries, not ELF binaries.  The newer sash knows how to load ELF.

        sash
        boot -f bootp()aks-csd:/vmlinux

Alternately, you could use some tool to produce an ECOFF executable
from the ELF executable, sufficient to allow the PROM to load it.
(The PROM expects only the most basic information, so such a tool
does not have to be very sophisticated.)

     Beyond that, the IP20 is not completely compatible with the Indy
(IP24, IRIX IP22 kernel) and Indigo2 (IP22), although it shares the
same memory controller, and most of the work on Linux/MIPS so far
has been on the Indy.  The graphics are often different, and the I/O
controller is an older revision, compared to Indy, which is not
completely compatible.  The graphics card you have is also different
from the basic Newport (XL) graphics on Indy, and is probably not yet
supported.

      I have been talking with people within SGI about providing
documentation and downloadable firmware for the various graphics cards
and for platforms other than Indy, but I don't yet have final
agreement.  Also, some of these machines were built quite a long time
ago (yours was probably built in 1992), so locating some of the
documentation is quite an effort.