Re: GNU/Hurd

To: (Torbjörn Gannholm)
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd
From: (Alan Cox)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:10:23 +0000 (GMT)
> A possible minus is the message-passing between the servers which might
> be time-consuming.

"Yesterdays technology, next week" to quote an OSI saying

> Still, my feeling is that this could be a real winner on flexibility and
> performance. Any comments?

If you want a pre-emptible OS core its not HURD. Being pre-emptible without
deadlocks or other interesting suprises is a very very hard problem. Consider
things like disk sorting algorithms when you have 40 blocks for a low pri
process queued up with 2 for a real time one.