Re: help offered

To: Greg Chesson <greg@xtp.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: help offered
From: <pjlahaie@atlsci.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:09:42 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Greg Chesson wrote:

> we do make systems where single node bandwidth is many gigabytes/sec.
> They're called vector supercomputers.

    I wasn't criticizing anything or anyone.  Just trying to get more
information.  Considering I had questions our SGI Tech/Salesmen combo
could not answer.

> The max amount of memory on a motherboard is 4 GBytes, I think.
> In order to get a bigger memory, more processors must be added.
> Do you want to criticize that, too?

    No need to take anything personal.  I'm just asking for information
and you guys get jumpy.  I have nothing bad to say about the O2k hardware,
I'm just curious about it's architecture and how exactly "bandwidth" is
measured, since it's not as straightforward as in an SMP system.

                                                - Paul