Re: help offered

To: (Alan Cox),
Subject: Re: help offered
From: "Greg Chesson" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:04:47 -0800
One definition of OS scalability that I have not seen
in general use is this:

        an OS scales to S number of processors if all S processors
        can be executing in the kernel at the same time.

An OS that scales to S active kernels can usually operate hardware
with P processors, where P > S.  A system for 1P should
be able to handle 2P with a little work.  I expect a lightweight kernel
like Linux to handle 4p with a few locks if on average only one of the
4p is in the kernel.  I'd suggest that the LInux kernel is at present
(1S, 4p) or maybe (1.5S, 4P).

Greg Chesson