Re: help offered

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: help offered
From: <pjlahaie@atlsci.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:51:54 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> I've seen way much higher numbers.  They are not official, and
> are not supposed to be used in sales situations, but were obtained
> in our labs with XFS and arrays that were designed and tuned to
> maximize bandwidth and to prove that XFS is not the bottleneck.
> I believe they also used fiberchannel etc.   Anyway, there are
> some much greater experts on this subject on this list if they
> care to give the details.

    I was under the impression the O2k memory bandwidth was limited to
~800MB/s.  If so, even if you can read 4GB/s what are you foing to do with
it?  It would have to go over the CrayLink "network" and that doesn't do
4GB/s.  The only way I can see 4GB/s disk throughput is multiple of the
node accessing "local" drives and adding all the bandwidth together.

                                                - Paul