Re: help offered

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: help offered
From: Olivier Galibert <galibert@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:49:00 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Nov 24, 1998 at 12:33:45PM -0800, Ariel Faigon wrote:
>       - Scalability: up to 256 CPUs

I can tell than an O2K with 64 CPUS works quite well when the hardware
isn't failing, but the hardware is often failing...

>       - Guaranteed Real Time response (kernel is preemptible
>         i.e. you can have multiple system calls executing in server
>         space simultaneously.

Linux 2.1.* is very preemtible, even if there are  stil some things to
do.

>       - A real journalling filesystem (XFS). Reboot doesn't
>         require a lenghty 'fsck'.  Even if you have a terabyte
>         filesystem the filesystem check takes one second or so.

xfs is _very_ good.

>       - Bandwidth (I/O networking) e.g. 4 GB/sec write to
>         RAID disks.

Interesting.  Our "local" SGI vendor  (i.e. the one for France),  told
us that 1GB/sec write  speed was too much  and he could only guarantee
800MB/sec for our 1TB raid array.

> Note that Linux doesn't even support big files (more than 4 GB)
> on x86, while IRIX supports many terabyte files.

The  limit on  x86 is  2GB.   To  be  fair,  said  terabyte  files and
filesystems  are  connected  to systems   with  a 64bits architecture.
Afaik, linux on alpha handles terabytes files.

  OG.