Re: help offered

To: torbjorn.gannholm@fra.se (Torbjörn Gannholm)
Subject: Re: help offered
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:33:45 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:First my apologies for asking questions you all know the answer to:
:What kind of SGI-machines does Linux currently work on?
:
Only Indys.

:In what areas does IRIX6.5 have a significant edge over Linux
:performancewise?
:
        - Scalability: up to 256 CPUs
        - Guaranteed Real Time response (kernel is preemptible
          i.e. you can have multiple system calls executing in server
          space simultaneously.
        - A real journalling filesystem (XFS). Reboot doesn't
          require a lenghty 'fsck'.  Even if you have a terabyte
          filesystem the filesystem check takes one second or so.
        - Bandwidth (I/O networking) e.g. 4 GB/sec write to
          RAID disks.

Linux has a clear edge is latency (as opposed to bandwidth)
short system call paths, simplicity and a general speed advantage
almost accros the board on machines with a single CPU, small disks,
small files etc.

Note that Linux doesn't even support big files (more than 4 GB)
on x86, while IRIX supports many terabyte files.

:We really want to put Linux on _everything_ we've got, from PI's to
:O2000 (we might also keep a PowerSeries380 for fun), as well as on suns
:and pcs. It would make everything a lot simpler to administrate, plus if
:we're not happy we can try to hack something.
:
Me too. This is not easy to do.  It is a big work.

:If necessary for performance, we can keep IRIX on the numbercrunchers,
:and, if that's not a performance problem, use gcc/egcs and glibc. Same
:questions for these contra Irix Development Kit as above.
:
:I have my employer's blessing to put time into porting and/or
:development of Linux/gcc/glibc for SGI-machines if someone just points
:me in the right direction.
:I have solid programming experience, I have dabbled a bit in sysadmin
:and am a quick learner (I have at times written useful code in unknown
:languages from examples), but haven't been this deep in before.
:
If you could make 'glibc' run on IRIX and send me the details
of what you did (and patches to the maintainers) that would be
a great great thing.  It will make most freeware programs more
portable between IRIX and Linux.

--
Peace, Ariel