Re: help offered

To: (Torbjörn Gannholm)
Subject: Re: help offered
From: (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 12:33:45 -0800 (PST)
:First my apologies for asking questions you all know the answer to:
:What kind of SGI-machines does Linux currently work on?
Only Indys.

:In what areas does IRIX6.5 have a significant edge over Linux
        - Scalability: up to 256 CPUs
        - Guaranteed Real Time response (kernel is preemptible
          i.e. you can have multiple system calls executing in server
          space simultaneously.
        - A real journalling filesystem (XFS). Reboot doesn't
          require a lenghty 'fsck'.  Even if you have a terabyte
          filesystem the filesystem check takes one second or so.
        - Bandwidth (I/O networking) e.g. 4 GB/sec write to
          RAID disks.

Linux has a clear edge is latency (as opposed to bandwidth)
short system call paths, simplicity and a general speed advantage
almost accros the board on machines with a single CPU, small disks,
small files etc.

Note that Linux doesn't even support big files (more than 4 GB)
on x86, while IRIX supports many terabyte files.

:We really want to put Linux on _everything_ we've got, from PI's to
:O2000 (we might also keep a PowerSeries380 for fun), as well as on suns
:and pcs. It would make everything a lot simpler to administrate, plus if
:we're not happy we can try to hack something.
Me too. This is not easy to do.  It is a big work.

:If necessary for performance, we can keep IRIX on the numbercrunchers,
:and, if that's not a performance problem, use gcc/egcs and glibc. Same
:questions for these contra Irix Development Kit as above.
:I have my employer's blessing to put time into porting and/or
:development of Linux/gcc/glibc for SGI-machines if someone just points
:me in the right direction.
:I have solid programming experience, I have dabbled a bit in sysadmin
:and am a quick learner (I have at times written useful code in unknown
:languages from examples), but haven't been this deep in before.
If you could make 'glibc' run on IRIX and send me the details
of what you did (and patches to the maintainers) that would be
a great great thing.  It will make most freeware programs more
portable between IRIX and Linux.

Peace, Ariel