New to Linux

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: New to Linux
From: Chad Carlin <chad@roctane.dallas.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 14:38:37 -0600
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Help.

Here is what I have:
Indy: R4k indy w/ a 1GB and a 500MB disk. I have an external 9GB from my
other system that I am temorarily (I hope) using to boot IRIX on my Linux
Indy.

Software:
Linux-installer-0.2.tar
root-be-0.04.cpio
SRPMS
vmlinux-indy-2.1.99.tar.gz
instructions

I read the instructions. The one with all of the tftp and nfs setup. Is
this for after I boot Linux, so I can install the rest of the software?
BTW I tested this by booting miniroot from my other Indy.

I also read the INSTALL instructions. I was able to successfully: ./mke2fs
drive, ./installer drive,  cjwsh> MAKEDEV, cpio root-be-0.04.cpio, and
./e2fsck -fy drive. Finally I did the, gzip -dc vmlinux.gz > /vmlinux. All
of this went OK.

It's the "boot vmlinux root=/dev/sda0" that makes the indy panic! Do I do
this from PROM or sash? I don't think that I can read the efs filesystem
without sash. Is there a better way to determine what device my e2fs root
filesystem is at?

Tell me if I'm getting this proceedure right.

1)Boot vmlinux kernel and mount e2fs filesystem as /.
2)Use tftp to install the stuff that I downloaded in the SRPMS directory.
3)Somehow I will end up with a system that can boot without having IRIX on
a local disk.

BTW is there anyway to mount this e2fs filesystem from with IRIX?

Thanks for any and all input. Flame me if you must.
Chad