Re: Halloween doc II

To: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Halloween doc II
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:34:51 -0800 (PST)
Cc: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:>      1) Automounting a floppy/CD when it is inserted
:>         (BTW: IRIX mediad has been doing this for quite a while)
:
:Yeah we looked at it, and decided it sucked somewhat. Stephen Tweedie
:has a slightly different scheme where you can even be sat in a directory
:on a changable volume when itchanges and all is fine - its called
:supermount
:
As I said, easy to implement -- difficult to get this as standard
into mainstream distributions.  Maybe this is where Red Hat / Caldera
SuSE etc. need to cooperate and just make things happen. Just focus
on those that are the biggest barrier of entry for the Microsoft-versed
masses.  If we do it, we can make great inroads into the desktop as well.
Oh yeah, and of course, now that Corel is funding WINE, we may even get
all the MS apps too.

:
:>      5) Of course, a coherent consistent GUI to manage everything
:>         from HW devices to access to files etc.  Those who need
:>         the simplicity, will never be willing to do command line
:>         stuff.
:
:Have a look at linuxconf, it works, it does the job. The gui just needs a
:major rethink
:
My thought exactly.   It is the GUI what makes the non technical
average user run away.  Hacker don't care enough about GUI's.

:>      6) Development tools like VB/VC++ :-)
:
:Cygnus GNUPro ;)
:
Good point.  People who can afford paying a few hundred dollars
for Visual C++ can afford Cygnus GNUPro.   Not everything should
be free as long as there's someone that got it right and it is
available on Linux.   I'm glad this reality is not even on MS's
radar they just compare "bare" Linux to a fully loaded (with
many additional $$$ NT client).

:> Someone forward this to Red Hat / Gnome and the XFree86 teams ...
:
:We've all seen it.
:
How naive of me to even hint otherwise :-)

--
Peace, Ariel