booting problems (forward)

Subject: booting problems (forward)
From: (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:52:11 -0800 (PST)
[Forwarding a bounced message ]

:From: Luke Deller <>
:Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 16:33:18 +1100 (EST)
:Subject: mips linux
:We have installed linux on an SGI Indy with no level 2 cache.
:As requested in a README file, i'm letting you guys know how we went.
:There was an untested kernel in:
:We tried this kernel and it didn't work.  The screen went black, so it looks
:like it got into console mode ok, but there was no text output at all.
:We have successfully booted linux using the kernel in:
:There was one problem that we encountered with the simple filesystem in:
:It is missing, so "rpm" couldn't run.  We had to use an x86 linux
:box to extract the zlib rpm so that we could extract other rpms on the mips
:If you would like us to test any more mips-linux kernels for an indy with no
:level 2 cache, please don't hesitate to email me.
:           Luke Deller
: _--_|\    Computer Engineering student
:/      \   School of Computer Science and Engineering     ? ? ? ?
:\_.--._*   The University of New South Wales               ~~^^~
:      v    Sydney, NSW     2052    AUSTRALIA                o o

Peace, Ariel